Capturing people’s attention on social media can be a pretty difficult thing when we spend so much time across so many different platforms.
Creators on Instagram are always finding new ways to innovate their content to do just that, especially when there’s such a focus on video content on the platform.
Instagram Reels transitions are a fun way to spice up your videos, hold viewers’ attention and get seen on Instagram’s Explore page. The best bit? These fun transitions work across all industries, from travel bloggers sharing their latest adventure to fashion content creators sharing must-try styling advice.
Instagram Reels transitions are a great way to make your videos more engaging and dynamic. Plus, transitions give you so much creative freedom and allow you to harness trending audio tracks in innovative ways.
Ready to dive into the wonderful world of Instagram Reels transitions but aren’t exactly sure how to pull them off? We’ve got you covered with our step-by-step explanation of five popular Reels transitions.
1. Finger Snap Transition
Want to show off your favourite winter fashion looks? Maybe you’ve created a recipe collection with a bunch of delicious dishes.
When you need to quickly transition between scenes, try the finger snap technique! This jump-cut style transition allows you to creatively showcase a range of scenes, product variations or event outfits in clever and creative ways.
Ready to get filming? Here’s how to do the finger snap transition:
- If you’re using the finger snap to show off your outfits you’ll have to take two or more shots for each outfit.
- Set a timer and start recording.
- After you’ve recorded your first take, you want to make sure the video is trimmed just after the snapping action.
- For your second take, use Instagram’s handy align tool to assist you in seeing where you should be standing. Line up your body to match yourself in the last frame of the first take.
- Use the timer again and perform the snapping action immediately.
- Trim the second video on the actual snapping action by hitting preview and clicking edit clips in the bottom left corner.
- Preview your clips, make sure they all match and start posting!
2. Clapping Transition
Another fun way to jump between different outfits is to use the clapping transition. As the name suggests, each frame is spliced together at the exact moment you clap your hands.
Ready to get started? Here’s how to use this transition:
- Start by recording a clip, where the clap at the end of the clip acts as a transition into your next point – this can be another outfit change video or sharing different tips and tricks with your audience.
- Next, trim the video to finish right after you make your first clap.
- Like the snapping transition, use the align tool and line up your body with yourself in the first clip.
- Set a 10-second timer (so you have enough time to align yourself) this time making the reverse motion of a clap and keep recording your next clip.
- When you’re happy with your clips, preview them and make sure they look seamless.
3. The Camera Tap Transition
Looking for a punchy way to keep your Reels engaging? Look no further than the camera tap transition!
Here’s how to bring this transition to life in your next Instagram Reel:
- Set a timer and record your first clip. End the clip with a tap of the camera covering your screen at the end.
- For the second recording change outfits or locations, set another time and instead of tapping the camera, pull your hand away from the camera.
- Make sure your taps in and out of the screen look seamless and then you’re ready to post!
4. The Side Swipe Transition
Get creative and bring your next Instagram Reel to life with the side swipe transition. Not sure what we’re talking about? Follow along with our step-by-step guide:
- Set a timer and begin filming your clip.
- At the end of the clip, you want to include your swiping motion (a little flick of the hand) and swing the camera away from you at the same time.
- For your next clip, pan the camera toward you this time (the opposite way you did it in the first clip).
- Trim your clips to your liking and show off your masterpiece.
5. The Jump Transition
Last, but certainly not least, is one of our favourite Instagram Reels transitions: the jump.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to creating the jump transition:
- Set your phone up on a tripod or any stable surface you have.
- Choose your favourite song on Reels in the top left corner.
- Set a timer and slide along the bar to choose where you want the transition effect to be (hot tip: when the beat switches in a song, that’s where you want the transition to occur).
- Start your timer, get into place and jump when the beat switches.
- Hit the timer button and select your clip duration again.
- Use the align tool and make sure you’re in the same position as the last frame of your first clip.
- Record yourself jumping again and trim out any flaws from your video then start posting.
Now that you’re well versed in all things Instagram Reels transitions, start adding these cool effects to your videos and level up your social media game. Rember, practice makes perfect!
Ready to supercharge your success on social media?
Looking for an all-in-one content creation suite that allows you to manage your social media channels effortlessly? From mapping out your strategy and designing your graphics to saving plug-and-play hashtag sets, you’ll find everything you need inside Plan.
Go on, redeem your 7-day free trial of Plann Plus. If you don’t like it, keep using Plann for free!