Have you had it up to here trying to upload videos on Instagram?
Are your videos too long or are you getting sick of the app cutting you off while you’re filming a clip for Instagram Stories? Or maybe, you’re just not sure if you can repurpose your TikTok videos across Reels, or if they’re going to be too long?
The struggle is real! Luckily, we’ve got the answers to all your Instagram video problems.
By the time you’re done reading this post, you’ll know:
‣ The perfect video length for IGTV, Instagram Stories, Instagram Live, Reels and feed posts
‣ 5 secret hacks to get around the video length limits on IG
‣ How to get your hands on free video stock footage to take your clips to the next level
Let’s dive in!
How Long Can Videos Be On Instagram?
It all depends on the type of content you’re uploading! Here’s the lowdown
‣ IGTV: You can upload a video from 15 seconds to 10 minutes if you have a regular Instagram account. Larger and verified accounts can upload a 60-minute IGTV video. You can record videos live, or you can upload pre-filmed content
‣ Instagram Stories: Stories are limited to 15-seconds each. However, you can record a maximum of 60 seconds at once, and Instagram will break it up into four Stories
‣ Instagram Feed: You can upload a video to your feed that’s as short as 3-seconds with a maximum length of 60 seconds
‣ Instagram Live: Similar to Facebook, you can host a Live for a maximum duration of 60 minutes
‣ Instagram Feed Video Ads: Your video ad needs to meet the length requirements of 3 to 60 seconds
‣ Instagram Story Video Ad: You are restricted to 15-seconds per Story
Read More: How to Use Instagram Lives to Gain More Followers
How Long Can Reels Videos Be On Instagram?
Nope, the answer isn’t ‘reely, reely long!’ Reels videos actually have quite a short maximum length of 30 seconds. While it’s shorter than the max TikTok video length of 60 seconds, it’s still double the original length of 15 seconds.
How To Make Your Video The Perfect Length For Instagram
There is nothing more frustrating than spending hours filming and editing a video only to have it rejected by Instagram because it’s a couple seconds or minutes too long. If you’re finding yourself struggling with video length, here are a few tips on how to make your video the perfect length:
Problem #1: My Instagram Feed Video is Too Long
Don’t want to edit out any more footage? Create a video carousel post! Splice up your video into smaller clips and your followers can watch one after the other by swiping through the post. The best part? Video carousels can up be up to 10-minutes along!
Say buh-bye to that 60-second time limit.
Problem #2: My Instagram Video is too Short
No one likes fluff. But sometimes you need a little bit extra to hit the Instagram video length minimum. So how do you increase your video length without sacrificing quality?
‣ Add more footage (pssst…Plann has an ENTIRE library of stock video footage you can use!).
‣ Slow down a clip or add a loop to increase your video length.
‣ Create an intro or end screen using a video editor like InVideo.
Best Practices for Instagram Feed Videos
‣ Upload your videos in the highest resolution you can. The maximum video file size is 4GB.
‣ Instagram prefers thumbnails with minimal text.
‣ Add captions to your videos to make it easy for people to watch without sound.
‣ Add your call-to-action (CTA) in the middle of your video. Most people won’t take action in the beginning, and a large percentage of users don’t watch a video to the end.
Problem #3: Your Instagram Story is too Long
Got more than 60-seconds worth of things to say? Get around the Instagram Story limit with this hack:
Step 1: Download a video editor app like CutStory for Instagram.
Step 2: Record your video on your phone.
Step 3: Open the video in the app from your camera roll and slice up your video into equal 15-second clips.
Step 4: Open Instagram Stories and select the clips from your camera roll and upload each one.
Best Practices for Instagram Story Videos
‣ Add location tags and use relevant hashtags to boost your views.
‣ Don’t post too many Instagram Stories per day. It will overwhelm your audience.
‣ Try to always have at least one Story up at all times. It will keep your profile at the front of users Story feeds.
‣ Keep your viewers engaged by using features like “Poll” and “Questions”.
‣ View your Story analytics with Plann to see how your posts are performing and how you can improve your engagement.
Read More: The Perfect Instagram Story Dimensions for 2021
Problem #4: You’re Instagram Ad Video is Longer Than 15 Seconds
If you’re experimenting with running Instagram Story ads, you can get around the 15-second time limit. Instagram lets you create up to 10 cards. Each card can contain 15-seconds of video footage. But only the first three cards will display within the Instagram Story feed. Users will need to opt-in with a tap to see the rest.
Read More: Instagram Sponsored Ads: 11 Tips for Amazing Click-Through Rates
Problem #5: Your Instagram Live Video is Longer Than 60-Minutes
While you are limited to 60 minutes per Live Stream on Instagram, you can easily get around that. All you need to do is go live again as soon as you have hit your time limit. You can re-start your stream as many times as you like!
Best Practices for Instagram Live Videos
‣ Come prepared! Write a script or a bullet point list to keep yourself on track and to avoid missing out any important information.
‣ Promote your Instagram Live videos on your Stories and other social media platforms. Use the “Countdown” feature on Stories to entice people to attend your live. The more views you get, the more likely Instagram will promote your video on the Explore page.
‣ Use your live streams to grow your email list. Ask your followers to submit their questions through a sign-up page on your website.
‣ Use your Instagram Live to tease new product launches and exciting announcements. If you’re selling a course, you can use your stream as a live “frequently asked questions” to squash any objections people may have about signing up.
Read More: How to Host an Instagram Live from Your Desktop
Not sure what the best video type for your content is? Check out this video!
Start Plann’ing Your Video Content
Now that you know the correct video length for Instagram (and a few hacks to get around those pesky limits), it’s time to start planning your content.
Download Plann and start curating your perfect Instagram feed. Upload your photos and videos and publish your feed posts and Stories at the best times for your audience.