Remember the good old days of social media? You know, the days of sharing your thoughts of the day with your friends and family via a Facebook status.
But don’t let your nostalgia get the better of you. Instagram Notes has arrived, bringing back text-based communication as a way to engage with friends and family and allow brands to update their audience in real time.
After a few months of testing out the Notes feature with a select group of users, Instagram officially launched Instagram Notes to the general public. So, we’re doing a deep dive into everything you need to know about this latest feature, how to start using Notes, and ways brands and businesses can integrate the Notes feature into their social media strategy.
What are Instagram Notes?
In a recent Reel, Adam Mosseri took to Instagram to talk about Instagram’s latest feature: Instagram Notes. Basically, you can use Notes to share your thoughts and feelings with your followers and see what your friends are up to.
You can share short notes of up to 60 characters of text or emojis which gives a new way to update your friends on Instagram beyond just videos and images. Instagram has been testing this feature for quite some time now and you may have seen the Notes feature at the top of your inbox in the direct message section of your Instagram app.
Adam Mosseri said the feature is available to every user except for users in the UK, EU, and Japan so stay tuned for more updates.
How to use Instagram Notes
Looking to start using Notes? Creating and sharing Instagram Notes is pretty simple, so just follow these few steps:
- Head to the top of your Instagram inbox (a.k.a. Where you send and read DMs)
- In the top left corner, tap the ‘Leave a Note’ box
- Write your thoughts or whatever you want to appear as your Note
- Here you can choose who you want to share your note with (either the followers that follow you back or people in your Close Friends list).
- Click Share to publish your note
Your note appears at the top of people’s inboxes for 24 hours and anyone who replies to your notes comes through your inbox like a normal DM. Pretty cool, right?
How businesses and brands can leverage Instagram Notes
Instagram is always coming up with new ways to drive engagement with your audience. If you’re a brand or business looking to take advantage of the Notes feature, here are some of the reasons why you’re going to love this new tool (and how to get the most out of it):
- A new way to engage with your audience: Notes give you the opportunity to engage with your audience in a relatively low-effort and time-saving way. It’s a great way to communicate new information and updates you think your audience needs to know.
- Share product launches or promotions: since Notes sit in the inbox tab of Instagram. Every time someone checks their DMs there’s a big chance they’ll come across your note. That means you’ve got the chance to remind people of a promotion you’re running a sale, or even a product launch.
- Building anticipation: a great way to build hype leading up to an upcoming launch or event is making use of the Notes feature. For example, if you’ve got a product launching in one week, you can share a new note every day teasing some new information or counting down the days until the big reveal.
- Spark conversations: looking to create more engagement and drive people to your DMs? Ask your audience questions, ask for feedback and even share some thought-provoking information that adds value for your audience.
Ready to supercharge your success on social media in 2023?
Looking for an all-in-one content creation suite that allows you to manage your social media channels effortlessly? From mapping out your strategy and designing your graphics to saving plug-and-play hashtag sets, you’ll find everything you need inside Plann.
Go on, and redeem your 7-day free trial of Plann Plus. If you don’t like it, keep using Plann for free!